[bottom]

Saturday, September 24, 2005

Blog Post: Sweet and Short

Found this excellen advice in Promoting Your Blog.
Not some ground-breaking wisdom but to the point and first time I have seen it put so plainly:


Keep your posts and paragraphs short.
Note the brevity of the aforementioned Kottke post. People will come back daily to read your fresh new work but spare them the one thousand word diatribes.
Strive for succinct posts that pump pertinent new information into the blogosphere and move on. Keep it short and sweet so visitors can pop in, read up, and click on.
Think of you blog as a cumulative effect. This doesn't mean you should never practice some long form writing now and then, it's just something to keep in mind.

It take some skills to do this...I personally think that in writing, the majority has the tendency to use more words than it really is necessary to express an idea.

Oh, another note to self: in general people on PC have pretty short attention span - this is how we evolved. No matter how much "attached" to our PC we're - I don't believe people read the screen the same way as they'd read printed media.

  • Blogger Smokin' Mama  |  9/26/2005    

    Thank you for expressing the need to keep posts brief & to the point. I try to apply the philosophy "never use 10 words when two words will do." It does however require practice. And thanks again for visiting me. I'm not sure if I know what the "myspace" thing is.. I'd appreciate it if you could ellaborate... I like your approach & value any advice.

    Thanks again!

Post a Comment

<< Home


Recent posts


[top]